Trains with bribes

 It was around 1pm, me and my friend Kavin just slept in the beds after a heavy meal in the hostel mess. We started chatting about,how we spend Pongal with our families and friends last year. Kavin remembered, that he was travelled Tirunelveli to Salem only by standing in the bus for almost 6 hrs. This time he decided to have a peaceful journey. So, he thought Train was a good option. I usually bunk the class one day before the leave starts so, I can peacefully travel to my native place with one day extra leave. I told my opinion of bunking the class but he didn't accept because he has low attendance. 

Me and Kavin have native village in the same district, Salem. But we never traveled together because of bunking issue. This time he convinced me to travel with him without bunking the class and I agreed. After the afternoon lectures got over we decided to book sleeper class in Bangalore Express. I shocked to see the available tickets,it was just 8 for 12.01.2018(2 days before Pongal). I rushed to book the tickets and I got it. We booked seats 12 days before Pongal with very low vacancy.

Days passed, the whole college eagerly waiting for the friday evening. On Friday(12 Jan) we are not able to concentrate on the lectures from the morning itself and professors too. In the evening me and my roommate packed the clothes and other things.

Really, it was my 1st Train travel, not for Kavin. The train will arrive at 9.30 and we decided to wander around the Tirunelveli junction. The train arrived at 10pm and it was 30 mins late. I get into the train with excitement. I got middle berth and Kavin got lower berth. The train starts moving and an old man approached Kavin and asked for exchange of their seats, as the old man got upper berth. And he agreed, he gave me thumbs up and gone, I didn't even asked his seat number.

After few minutes TTE came to check the tickets. Everyone around me are already got checked. I showed my tickets and he asked me Aadhar Card,wth!! I told him that I didn't not bring the Aadhar card. He saw me silently for 30secs and told that I have to pay fine of 500 rupee or go to the second class. I shocked to hear this and asked him, is this mandatory to bring Aadhar card during train travel?. He said,yes if you have any doubts gothrough the IRCTC official website. He was right. I checked my pursue,thank god!! I got an Xerox copy of my Aadhar card, I showed it to him. He refused accept it. He strictly wants the original Aadhar card.

He had terrible face with big mustache and well dressed. After few minutes,he told if I gave 100 rupee I will be freed, in a rusky voice. And added,he will come back after 30 mins,decide what i want. After he was gone I called Kavin he didn't pick up the phone he was in deep sleep. It was an night mare and I felt helpless. I didn't not got any sleep for the next 30mins.

TTE came after 30mins,he asked me to come over the corner of of coach. He enquired about me and my studies. He strictly told me that he wants 100 rupees. Without my willing I gave 109 rupee to him. I feel ashamed by his activity. It was my first bribe. I felt sad for that money and how hard my father worked to get the money. I came to my berth and I didn't slept for the whole night.

That night I decided not to bribe others money. 100 rupees it is a big money for me I felt bad that night. I saw he was wandering around the same coach. I watched him and I found that I am not the only victim but many also. I had severe anger, I tried to capture it but it was full of darkness. These government employees are destroying our nation.

In the morning, I reached Salem junction I came out the train and searched for Kavin. After I found him I told him everything that happened last night. He shocked to hear that. He said sorry for not getting my phone call. He told me to give a compliant in the Railway police station. I refused to do so because I don't want any further consequences.

Then we moved to the Salem bus stand for our village buses. I went to my home and I didn't told them anything about this incident. Pongal celebrations erased my guilty and I enjoyed a lot with my family. I returned to my college by bus. It is an unforgettable experience to me.

Corruption is the biggest problem in India. Everywhere corruption is going on and Bribes run the government offices. Upcoming generation should work for our nation without corruption and bribes.

Post a Comment

0 Comments